Three things make me reflective: 1) engagements, 2) babies and 3) birthdays. The first two are other peoples and the last is my own.
My birthday is slowly approaching, I’ll be 33 in 38 days (if my math is correct). Friends and relatives are getting engaged, planning weddings and popping out babies. If I focus on these I’m sad. I’m 32 and very single. I’m not a fake single, those with a significant other but no commitment. Its been a year and 8 months since I’ve been on a date and before that it was 8 years, so it could be said that I handle the single life well. And I do for the most part.
I have a good job, something that keeps me busy and something I have passion about. I’m happy. I have good friends at work, in KC and spread all over the world. I have a loving family, a roof over my head and a working vehicle. I have great hobbies and outlets for my creativity and am happy.
But I do have this part of my life that sometimes makes me sad. I don’t really like being single. I know that the person for me is out there but I do wonder if I will ever meet him.
One of my friends on Facebook posted a cryptic message about God saying no or not yet about something important to her. She asked for people to tell her stories when God was faithful. I started to think about my employment journey: being fired, being unemployed for so long, and then getting a job and moving. I waited so long for a job and then God put me into a job that has taught me so much. God was faithful and his plan was perfect. I need to remember these things when I start to doubt God in the area of romantic love, weddings and babies.
Sometimes being reflective is helpful. God’s timing is perfect, perhaps I can remember that when loneliness knocks again…..
It’s a good thing we’re almost to my birthday, I feel like I might be running out of Random Things About Me :). Be sure to check out the first post in this series: 31 Random Things About Me.
Today’s Random Things:
- 16. I love to write. I have always loved to write. I enjoy writing fiction and non-fiction alike. I have 2 other blogs besides this one and enjoy writing for both. In my Seminary education I loved writing papers because it gave me the chance to write. I once wrote a 5 page paper in 59 minutes. I never ran out of words to use, now that doesn’t mean that my words are always brilliant but I love to share them with others. When I was a child and we were living in Irwin, PA my Elementary school had talent shows each year. Back then you could do a talent and also submit something to the writing talent show (they were the same show but different categories). So I would submit a dance and also a story. I don’t remember any of the pieces I wrote but I remember the joy of writing and submitting them. I also wrote for a high school publication and any time I was on a committee I had no problem being the secretary. These days I mostly write about my life but every once in while I try to write some fiction just for fun. 🙂
- 17. I love rocking chairs. Sometimes I think I am such and old soul. I mean I love to knit and I love rocking chairs. But nonetheless I do love rocking chairs. When I was living in Madison Square back in Pasadena, CA I had a rocking chair on my front porch. I used to love sitting outside on a nice day, of which there were plenty, and writing in my rocking chair while listening to music. It was awesome. 😉
My rocking chair that used to sit in Grandma Shirley’s living room. I can still picture her sitting in it working on some project or looking out onto the lake.
- 18. I absolutely love listening to music. I do not know many people that do not like listening to music but I love listening to music. I get inspiration from music and I worship with music. I love singing in the car and listening to tunes either walking or driving to a destination. I love reading with music on or knitting or doing just about any activity. I love artists that are played on popular music stations as well as artists that are not as well known. Some of my favorite artists at the moment are: Pink, Fun, Scars of 45, NEEDTOBREATHE, Big Daddy Weave, Florence + The Machine, Lumineers and Johnny Cash and old stuff from Ozzy Osbourne. 🙂 I have an eclectic taste in music.
To see where and how this all begin check out: 31 Random Things About Me.
Today’s Random List:
- 10. I love my glasses. When I was in the 7th grade I had begged and pleaded with my folks to let me get contacts. They finally gave in and I got them. They were hardly easy. But I liked them. I liked wearing them but I kept scratching my eye with them. Then when they came out with the soft kind I got them. But because of my weird eye shape, or astigmatism, the contact never stayed in place and I could be driving and all of the sudden not have clear vision even with the weighted version. So I gave up on the whole wearing contacts thing and switched back to glasses. In the beginning I hated going back to glasses but now I wouldn’t have it any other way. I am a quiet soul but I have tons of character, my glasses are your first opportunity to see that character :).
My awesome glasses 😉
- 11. My favorite color is pink. I am your stereotypical girl. I love the color pink and don’t understand anyone that doesn’t :). I love hot pink and if you look in my closet you will see pink throughout.
- 12. I absolutely love old movies! One of my favorite aunt’s (Cindy) has a great collection of old movies. As a family we would visit Colorado every summer and we would stay at Cindy’s because she has a pet free zone, which is perfect for my Dad’s allergies. Anyway, sometimes we would slip away from the group and watch old movies together: Darby O’Gill and The Little People, Some Like it Hot, Pillow Talk, etc. Besides the cookies, time with Grandma, the pool and other things watching movies with Aunt Cindy is a favorite past time of mine and I have fond memories of our times together.
I started this blog series a few days ago in honor of my Birthday: 31 Random Things About Me. This is the 3rd day in.
Today’s random things:
- 7. I’m Short. I’m 5 foot 7 inches and I never realized, until I left Kansas and all my me sized friends, that I’m short. I realized this fact when I was hanging out with one of my taller friends. I was driving my little Honda Civic and she was complaining that the ceiling in my car was too low. This had never come up before. My father, sisters and mother had all ridden in my car and they never said a word. I’ve dated guys who were tall but we always rode in their car and I always figured that guys should be taller than me. But never, until that fateful day in Pasadena, CA did I realize that I was short. I’m taller than my younger sister which I guess is saying something. I don’t think this is a bad thing. I like my height. I’ve always been tall enough to ride roller coasters and although it is sometimes annoying when I can’t reach a top shelf I just adapt and move on. I like my 5 foot 7 status :).
- 8. I love to paint and one of my favorites is one I composed with a dear friend on a day when she needed a pick-me-up. A couple years back, when I was still living in Pasadena, CA a close friend called me up and wanted to do something. I didn’t mind because I was bored but insisted that it had to be something that would be free. So she packed up some canvas and her paints and came to my place and we painted. It was a lovely afternoon and I love the piece I made. Painting is just as relaxing as coloring in coloring books and is sometimes a bit more fun because the only lines to color in are the edge of the piece and there are no rules because imagination and creativity rule. 🙂
Fall by Tammy Waggoner
- 9. I love British TV! I got addicted to Masterpiece Theatre (which in some circles is considered PBS territory but I consider it Brit) when I started meeting with great people monthly. We would get together at Holly’s apartment and bake bread and make a meal and watch great things like: Cranford, Emma, Little Dorrit, and other such gems. We watched some not so great stuff too but it was always a blast with: Laura, Stacey, Holly, Allison and towards the end Kristie. It was a wonderful time and I miss those times dearly. I still watch great things by myself but I miss our crew and the wonderful meals and glorious girl time together. 🙂
This post was a bit more nostalgic than I meant it to be. I’m choosing to blame it on the snow that is falling in May 🙂
I’m turning 32 on the 12th of May. This is the year of weddings and babies. Sure every year I have friends that get married but in the month of May and June there are few weekends that aren’t filled with weddings.
I’m single and have no baby. I also have no job and live with my folks. 32 might be hard this year so instead of focusing on the things I don’t have I’ve decided to focus on 31 things that make up me. I’ve done the math, which means in the next 11 days I will be focusing on 3 things each day (roughly, the math doesn’t come out even) that have to do with me: random facts.
So today’s random facts:
- 1. I can read a 400 page novel in 8 hours. It used to take me 3 months to read a book that long. Now I can do it in a day. I can read a non-fiction book of that length in a couple of days. I like to go slower and absorb the information.
- 2. I love peach iced tea. I love it with real peaches and without but I cannot stand hot tea or hot coffee. I love iced tea, iced coffee and pretty much any other iced beverage. 🙂
- 3. In the past 2 years I have lost a lot of weight. I’m a fraction of my former self and loving every minute of it. I had to go gluten free for health reasons and I’ve never looked better. 🙂
Dad and I at my MDIV graduation
Shopping for an Easter dress Spring 2012
Spring 2013 in my bridesmaid’s dress for my little sister’s wedding